Nine years ago, Mountain Life Hida was established to provide access to Japan’s beautiful countryside for visitors and locals alike. To keep this work moving forward, we welcome open-minded, enthusiastic individuals to stay and become a part of the work; from two weeks to several months. This is not just an incredible introduction to Japanese culture and lifestyle, but it is also an opportunity to build a long-lasting relationship with Mountain Life Hida and our close family of workers! The program requires trainees with a strong work ethic, enthusiasm, and commitment as core personality traits. In addition to these qualities, applicants should have interest in Japanese culture and language, outdoorsmanship and recreation, and be comfortable with a small town lifestyle.
Keep in mind, if this becomes a great fit for you and Mountain Life Hida, together we can pursue the possibility of finding employment in local businesses, like restaurants, for dedicated individuals. We are recruiting immediately (May) until October.
Trainees will be educated and build skills to participate in the following:
- Assist in the Ninja Forest rope course and canyoneering.
- Rope course building and maintenance (both ground work and in the trees).
- Building and maintenance around the office.
- Developing relationship with neighborhood through volunteer work (weeding for example) and participating in local events.
- Reception and interaction with customers in the main office.
- Assisting us to develop programs for international tourists.
- Language lessons (English or French) for Japanese clients.
Physical strength to deal with (sometimes tough) labor. A love for DIY building projects and outdoor activities. Strong work ethic, enthusiasm, and commitment. Curiosity to discover nature and culture in Japan. An international driving license.
- Meals and accommodation are provided.
- Accommodation is in a house, shared with other staff members.
- Excursions to nearby touristic spots are organized on a regular basis.
- Learning guiding skills in adventure (climbing, rope work, swift water rescue, group handling, etc.)
- Getting to know Japan at its source. We are in a small mountain village where nature is abundant and intact. In a quiet relaxing environment you can get to know locals and learn conversation.
- International driving experience. Driving also is almost a must for daily work and shopping, and as traffic consists of local commuting, it is easy and exciting to learn to drive.
From September, when the business slows down, we try to help you find work in local business like restaurants or hotels, after giving minimum Japanese conversation skills. After this, it is up to you - you may want to stay in the region, or we can help you find work in Niseko Hokkaido, a ski resort known for quality of powder snow and there are many employment offers for English speaking people. The manager of Mountain Life Hida is for a long time a ski instructor in an international snowsports school in Niseko.
If you are interested, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org also, check out our host page on WWOOF (Willing Worker for Organic Farming, a system of exchange of labor for free stay at hosts with ecological thinking). Mountain Life Hida is a host with WWOOF JAPAN, host code h20430.
Your overall learning experience will be optimized by staying for at least 2 weeks, otherwise it will be hindered and you won’t be able to help us very much. However, this is an opportunity that can last for a few weeks or a few months, it is even possible to stay longer with a working visa.
Expected work schedule is as follows -
May - building and maintenance work of the office and the forest adventure park. There will be rope course guiding during weekends.
June - during the week, building continues whereas canyoneering starts slowly. We will try to start programs for international tourists.
July - first half of the month will be rainy. Ayu fishing starts and the fishing technique is very unique, if you like fishing you can learn from local experts. The school holiday starts in the latter half of the month.
August - very busy with rope course and canyoneering guiding until the 21st August. The nicest time to enjoy water in the river and canyons.
September - still some business with university students. Canyoneering is still nice.
October - quiet except for weekends.